Friday, May 29, 2009

Reasons To Love Your Metronome

I've recently stopped using Band In A Box most of the time and switched over to just using the metronome for practice, just set to a single beat. It's much quicker and more convenient, requires no setup, and perhaps most importantly, lets me just work on the segment of the song I'm having problems with. I find I'm more inclined to adjust it to build up (or down) gradually in speed. I also feel like listening for its pulse is somehow giving me better timing all around.

And it's great to work on placing my chop right in the center of the space between the metronome's beats.

I should add that it took me some practice to begin to work with a metronome effectively. It's worth making the commitment to do it, but if you're just starting out, it's probably more helpful to work with band in a box or backing tracks you record yourself, because at that time you have enough to worry about. Practicing with a metronome is a skill in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment